Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 11 of Sunehra's Christmas Craft Countdown - Cards from Sketches

Today I finally ran out of ideas for my Christmas Craft Countdown. Everyone's been saying, 'hey... how do you come up with different ideas each time?', and I would like shrug and say, 'I don't know'. Today was a different scene, I had no clue where to start. I still wanted to make 3 cards though so I decided to draw inspiration from the Sketch Challenges out in Crafty Blogland. Once again to recap, I've set myself a challenge for Christmas. My Countdown Goal is simple - Every day from November 1st to November 30th, I'm going to make 3 projects. They could be cards, tags, gift boxes, ornaments, whatever I want to complete but I have to complete at least 3 projects every day. To see my previous countdown projects, click here.

My first card is based on the Sketch from Freshly Made Sketches # 111 which is displayed just below my card. What an interesting sketch!! I haven't seen anything quite like it and I just had to try it out. The DT's inspiration gave me some ideas as did the submissions and ultimately I thought to myself, 'What Christmas scene would have a marked gap in the middle. It finally hit me - Children running to open presents on Christmas morning and that is what I've tried to create. Everything is cut and etched on my Cameo and I added some real bows on the top of the presents. 

My next card is based on this week's CAS(E) This Sketch Challenge (CTS 53). Again I was blown away by the sketch. I had no idea where to begin at all until I had a look at the DT inspirations and finally figured out what I wanted to do. I'm going for rolling Christmas Tree Hills and I embedded the sentiment 'O Christmas Tree' in the hills. The sketch along with another angle of the card are below. 



For my third card I decided to create something for CASE Study 165. This is an interesting challenge. We have to create something based on another established crafter's creation to learn how that crafter has inspired us. When I first saw the inspiration photo again I was at a loss. Then I realised what really jumped out at me was that paper bow. I also liked the idea of a window on top. So I created my card around this theme - Instead of a window I added a wreath with a paper bow below. 



I honestly thought it would be easier to use a sketch or case study to make a card. In fact it was much tougher. Ensuring your creation complies with the sketch design is no easy feat. When there is no sketch, you can pretty much create whatever you want but here there was a guideline to follow and one's creativity is constrained. That said, I found it very satisfying, almost like a real honest to good challenge. 

Thanks for popping by and see you again tomorrow!

If you would like to know the supplies used for this or any of my projects, please write to me at craftingtillthecrackofdawn@gmail.com

11 comments:

  1. All of your cards are wonderful! Love how you were inspired!
    Thanks for play with us over at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are fabulous! I love what you did with the FMS sketch! The kids running to the presents is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous cards! Love all three :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic these are! Love your take on the FMS sketch. Glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely christmas card. Thanks for playing along with us in the CAS(E) this sketch! challenge and hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to have so many lovely Christmas projects made when you finish you own challenge! I love these three, and your take on the FMS sketch is fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful collection of cards and all beautifully toned together! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful assortment of cards! I love how you took the sketch and created that landscape!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you think. Mention your blog too so I can visit you!